Sunday, May 24, 2009

12 Reasons Why I Hate Saskatoon...

1. The Climate...

I have to laugh... The people who live here are constantly reassuring themselves about how "great" the climate is here with inane comments like "You know it rains all the time in Vancouver" or "Oh, that terrible humidity in Ontario". My God in heaven, it's below freezing for 7 months of the year and 3 of those months are below -20C. The growing season is only 100 days long, it can freeze anytime of the year and a good part of the "summer" is cold, too.... and the bloody wind... It never stops.

Prey tell, then... Why do 12 million people live in S. Ontario and 3 million in the lower mainland of B.C. if the climates there are so terrible?... And yet Saskatchewan has not been able to get a population of more than a million in 75 years? I think it's penis envy and a huge inferiority complex.

No one wants to live here for this reason alone... No one.

2. The rednecks, lack of culture, lack of people with any taste or class...

Granted, there is lots of money here... rich farmers, rich oil workers... They have big trucks and bigger houses... These people are classless...They listen to country music, shop at Walmart, hock and spit, drink Pilsner beer, wear baseball caps in restaurants, are vulgar and crude and their idea of a fine restaurant is Mano's or The Cave... Yep, paper napkin and family dining at it's best.

Mind you, there are maybe 3 good restaurants in the city...

3.. The isolation...

God, Saskatoon is a million miles from any civilized place or big city... And I don't regard Calgary or Edmonton as either civilized or big... 18 hours to the Twin Cities is your closest link to the civilized, populated world.

4. The crime...

Highest crime rate in Canada.

5. The Aboriginals...

I am tired of all of it.

6. The Fattness...

Outside of the American Deep south, I have never, ever in my life seen so many obese, out of shape people.

7. The Star Phoenix

You call that a newspaper?... What an embarrassment... and no paper on Sunday. I think Saskatoon is the only place in the world without a local, Sunday paper... God, I miss civilization sometimes.

8. The West side...

Poverty, slumlords, crime, arson, post-industrial gloom... Almost every business closed on 20th st. from Ave. A to Ave. H. and the city pours millions into the beautification of this dismal, dangerous hunk of road. Brownfields, abandoned factories (Mitchell's, etc.) Lame and doomed to fail attempts at revitalization (Farmer's Market, The 20th St. Station) in this seedy scumscape.

9 John Gormley and CJWW...

The "voices" of Saskatoon... Good God.

10. Don Atchinson...

Our local version of "Mayor McCheese"

11. Beaten up roads...

My God, our streets look like something out of the Third world, beaten up roadways full of potholes, cracks, frost heaves... Line painting is lame at best.
As I told a visitor to here once who commented on the lack of line painting on the streets "Oh, don't worry... Just keep your vehicle in the ruts in the street and you'll stay in the right lane..."

12. The world's worst drivers?

This huge sense of entitlement (comes with loosers who have aquired wealth and big vehicles), lack of knowledge of road rules, general rudeness, excessive speed and lack of common courtesy.

2 comments:

  1. I moved from Vancouver to Saskatoon last year and my god do I hate this place to its guts.
    My parents used to go to college here, and I have always hear about them complainning how bad Saskatoon was. Having lived in Ft Mac for 2 years, I didn't believe them. Until last year, I decided to follow my parents footsteps and come to U of S, biggest mistake of my life thus far.
    Worst thing about the city is the people here: Rude, stubborn, lazy and racial discriminating. Crappy city planning comes second. Drivers comes the third (seriously guys, driving a truck doesn't mean you can drive in between lanes/ turn left whenever you want/ tailgating people).
    DONT MOVE HERE!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete